Origami Bow – How to Guide
as requested by Meredith
1. Get a piece of origami paper. (does not matter if it is plain on one side)
2. Fold in half diagonally to form a triangle.
3. Open up flat
4. Fold diagonally to the opposite corner.
5. Open flat.
6. Fold in half to create a rectangle.
7. Open flat again.
8. Fold in half the other way.
9. Open flat to see you 4 creases. You want to have your printed side facing you at this point. (I have done the first half the wrong way and correct it at step 23)
10. Take a point and bring it in towards the centre. Find the two creases on both sides and bring them together on the outside of this point.
12. Bring the right point down to the bottom point in the same way to create a square.
13. Fold top point of the square down approx 1cm.
14. Use to fold at the point to create a square, keeping the rest of the paper in the same formation. (You can open it up flat and fold all the edges of the square and then move it back into shape)
16. Invert the square so that it collapses inside itself, still keeping the shape of the rest of the paper. Make sure the side stay in.
17. It should look like this when sitting flat.
18. From the centre of the flat top fold the corner in to the center line to create a flap like this.
19. Repeat this fold on the other side.
20. Flip to other side and continue to fold in the same way.
21. Fold in the last side.
22. You now need to open it up from the inside keeping all your folds that you just did intact. The easiest way to do this is pull to two points out and push the centre from underneath.
This is not a step but I only realised halfway through that I had used the wrong side
24. Flip the paper over and cut along the lines shown.
25. Fold one cut side up.
26. Take bottom point from side and bring it to the centre line of the square, fold edge along this line.
27. Repeat on the other side.
28. Flip cut sections down and fold the other sides.
29. It should look like this.
30. Cut down the centre of the already cut sections.
31. This is the result to expect
32. From the outside point fold in 1/2 cm.
33. From the bottom point fold in 1/2 cm aswell.
34. Do the outside point from the other side.
35. Fold the inside point of the other side.
36. Flip over and bring in one of the top outside point.
37. Tuck point into the square.
38. Fold in the other point the same way. And you are done.
You have the option to cut the bottom of the ribbon into one or two points but personally I like it like this.
I hope you like this little bow. I love it.
It’s super kawaii!
And yes I know traditional origami does not include cutting but this was the best bow that I could find for what I am making them for.
What is your favourite origami to make?